We often go through great pains to meet the requirements of today’s job descriptions. Between obtaining advanced degrees to accumulating prior experience in the industry, many job seekers are forced to take menial, dead-end jobs before they can pursue their true passion.
It seems that we might not have to wait at all. In fact, we don’t even have to meet all of the individual job requirements. According to recent reports, those who meet only half of the stated job requirements are just as likely to land an interview as those who meet the majority. As it turns out, your past experiences and achievements only account for a portion of your profile – it’s up to your personality to sell the rest.
But the specific statistics from the report paint a deeper picture:
- The odds of landing an interview do increase when you meet 40 percent of the stated job requirements. In other words, you probably won’t get the job if you match less than 40% of the original job description.
- Applicants who meet 50 to 60 percent of the stated job requirements are 192 percent more likely to land an interview over someone who only matches with 40 to 50 percent.
It’s clear that you don’t have to meet every single job requirement in the original description. There are a number of strategies you can take to capitalize on this:
- Begin applying to jobs when you reach the 50 percent mark. Let potential employers know about your plans for future learning and development.
- Work on your missing skills and abilities throughout your job search. Not only does this strengthen your skill set, but it helps take your mind off the day-to-day job hunt.
- Don’t learn it all. Make sure to save some professional development for later, as it won’t increase your odds of landing a job in the first place.
Working with your recruiter and developing a plan to match your personality and previous skills with future opportunities leads to a better match in your job search.
Find Your Next Job with Mega Force!
If you are looking to begin your job search with one of the largest and most successful staffing firms in North Carolina today, contact the professionals at Mega Force right away!