Now that you’ve put in the time as an entry-level worker and earned your reputation amongst the workforce, it’s time to apply for that promotion. For many workers in the warehousing, this means assuming the role of warehouse supervisor. While it comes with a strong increase in pay, it also carries a tremendous increase in responsibility on a day-to-day basis.
Overview of the Warehouse Supervisor
Traditionally, the warehouse supervisor maintains a highly active, multifaceted, and hands-on role. Not only does it involve daily inventory control and logistics management, but it requires direct leadership and supervision over staff members. Finally, most warehouse supervisors are also responsible for opening the warehouse every morning and securing the premises at night.
Additional duties might include:
- General human resources, including staffing, recruitment, scheduling, and discipline
- Strategic planning and analysis to streamline operations and improve productivity
- Financial analysis, including budgeting, monitoring, and reporting
- Regularly inventory counts, typically performed on a monthly basis
- Maintenance of warehouse equipment, including troubleshooting malfunctions and ordering replacement parts or repair services as needed
- Clear understanding of safety policies and procedures, both internally as well as those established by OSHA and similar organizations
Finally, the position also requires an honest and dedicated worker with an exemplary attendance record. As you can see, it’s a role that demands versatility, diligence, and the ability to multitask effectively on a day-to-day basis. It also requires an individual who knows how to drive motivation on a personal level and inspire their peers.
How to Achieve that Promotion
As an entry-level warehouse worker with your eyes set on a supervisory promotion, there are a number of steps you can take in order to increase your odds.
- Show up to work every single day and, ideally, a few minutes ahead of your scheduled shift
- Volunteer to take on extra time, tasks, or responsibilities whenever possible
- Update your resume to highlight new skills and recent experience
- Make your presence known in the warehouse by performing your assigned duties, helping others, and observing all safety standards
How Mega Force Can Help
Whether you’re currently in the running for a supervisory role or even if you’re just considering your options for the future, Mega Force can help you in a variety of ways. As a top industrial staffing agency in North Carolina, we have immediate openings on all levels within reputable, professional warehouse environments, and our team is ready to help you get started right away!