When it comes to finding a new job, most job seekers tend to stick to their areas of expertise. After all, your prior experience in the field can easily be transferred to your new role. But what happens if you don’t have the experience that is relevant to the job you want? How do you convince an employer that your current skill set can be applied to a completely different occupation?
- Starting from the bottom: In many cases, starting a brand new career means starting from the bottom – regardless of your prior experience in another field. This often involves taking a pay cut, becoming familiar with your new teammates, and proving yourself once again.
- Learning new skills: A great way to highlight your enthusiasm for a new career is to show initiative and learn the necessary skills before you’re hired. Not only does this show genuine interest on your part, but it also gives you a head start when it comes time to assimilate into your new role.
- Volunteering your time: You might also consider volunteering your free time with a company that you’re interested in working for. Again, this is a great way to show genuine interest in the position while advancing your knowledge in the field at the same time.
- Asking for referrals: If you have friends, family members, or colleagues that are already working for your ideal employer, don’t be afraid to ask for a referral. Many hiring managers will give preference to applicants who have been referred by a current employee.
- Creating your LinkedIn profile: Never underestimate the power of a LinkedIn profile in today’s job market. With employers putting more emphasis on social media than ever before, this is a great way to get your presence known in an industry – regardless of your prior experience.
- Updating your resume: Don’t forget to update your resume. More importantly, you can use your resume to highlight skills and accomplishments that pertain to the jobs you’re currently seeking. Some roles don’t require prior experience as long as you can showcase the relevant skills and talents from your career to date.
Exploring New Careers with Mega Force
The professionals at Mega Force can help you explore potential career paths and opportunities in many different fields. Whether you’re looking for part-time work or a full-time position, contact the professionals at Mega Force today!