Being a job seeker in today’s market can be incredibly discouraging, and you need every tool at your disposal to increase your visibility and appeal to potential employers. Mega Force has this advice to follow for standing out and increasing your chances of getting hired.
- Get relevant work experience – You can stand out from the competition by securing relevant work experience. Even unpaid internships can give you the invaluable skills employers look for in candidates. Also, consider searching for entry-level roles in your preferred industry, even if they aren’t your ultimate dream job.
- Volunteer – Volunteer work is a great way to gain experience that will make your resume stand out. It also demonstrates a commitment to helping your community – a surefire way to build your personal brand.
- Invest in your education – A degree or certification can increase your earning potential and qualify you for more advanced positions. Consider pursuing a certification in forklift operation, or other manufacturing certifications.
- Network — Experience and education can go a long way toward helping you stand out in a competitive job market, but networking can also help you find the right opportunity. Attend networking events and stay in contact with the people you click with the most.
- Customize your resume for each job – When it comes to job opportunities, one resume does not necessarily fit all. Keep your resume updated with your current skills and experience, but also customize it to emphasize the experiences and skills each potential employer is seeking. Don’t be afraid to remove experience that isn’t relevant to a given position.
- Grow as a leader – Most employers are looking for candidates who have leadership skills. Applicants who have a demonstrated history of leading teams successfully will stand out from the rest. Look for opportunities to lead projects and mentor newer team members.
- Prepare for your interview — Research both the company you’re interviewing with as well as the position you’re applying for. Prepare a list of thoughtful questions to ask the interviewer so you’ll be ready when they ask if you have any questions at the end of the interview. Solid preparation will allow you to enter the interview with confidence.
- Cultivate good references — While you may not need to provide references upfront, keep a list handy. Include the names of both previous employers and coworkers as well as personal acquaintances who can speak to your skill level and work ethic.
Ready to get Back to Work?
Mega Force works with top employers with several offices across North Carolina for your convenience. Contact our team today or browse our online job search portal.